Thursday 30 November 2017

Bake of the /month - Auntie Cath's Ginger Cake

I love ginger. Love Yorkshire. But I don't care for parkin. I much prefer ginger cake, and save the oats for flapjack. This recipe is a favourite in our house, given to me by my sister. I've taken the liberty of adding some crystallised ginger which gives a nice pop of warmth.


50g golden syrup
150g black treacle
100g Demerara sugar
75g butter
2 eggs
200g plain flour
2Tbsp ground ginger
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
50g chopped crystallised ginger

1. Mix the syrup, treacle, sugar and butter over a very low heat, until just melted.

2. Cool slightly and add the remaining ingredients, and mix well.

3. Pour into a lined tin, and bake at gas 4 for 25 minutes until a knife comes out clean.


A great teatime treat, or serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment